Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Whole Brain Teaching Year Has Begun!

Well, school has begun and I feel like I am finally coming up for air. The first two days have gone well, but – as is usually the case – it has been hectic. Teaching sixth-grade in middle school, the poor darlings don't really know where to go or where they should be. Changing classes is new for them, and in one hour I had 16 people that did not belong in my class! Oy vey! Amazingly, by day two things went a lot more smoothly...and by smoothly, I mean no more than three kiddos in the wrong class per hour. 

I have been so busy with new school procedures, new administrator lists, and just the beginning of the school year that I haven't been planning"W.B.T." I covered the five rules, class/yes, and passing out papers on day one. We also discussed multiple intelligences and filled out an M.I. Survey. I had grandiose plans of getting to so much more. Ha!
 
I popped in for a Twitter #wbtchat last night, and Nancy S. was quick to remind me of a few things that would help me easily get back on track! So, scoreboard was today for day two! It was a huge – and I mean huge success! Also, I reviewed the class yes and rules, and added the teach/okay. They loved it! There was even one student teaching the rules to his shoe!  Hahaha!

I want to mention that I had our ELL teachers translated the 5 WBT rules into Spanish and Marshallese! Has anyone else translated them? Does anyone need them? I'm happy to share!

So...I'm tired. My washer at home broke.  My A/C in my classroom went out. I have lunch duty this first week of school. My voice is weak. My legs are nearly numb. My brain is fried. But, in all honesty, I can say, "I LOVE MY JOB!!!"

Power to the Teachers!

Cathy

No comments: