Thursday, June 26, 2014

I came from Louisiana with WBT on the brain.

Three days.  Just three days.  It hardly seems possible for ten years to be trumped by three, relatively short days, but that's exactly what happened.  I attended my first WBT workshop. EVER. The first time I was in the real-live-presence of WBT in real life. I had watched some YouTube videos and read some of the ebooks (even a few chapters of Coach B's book), so I thought I knew what I was getting into...BOY WAS I WRONG!  And, I have to admit I have never been so happy to be wrong.  This was no "convention" like I had ever attended.  I was in heaven, for THIS WAS SUMMER DAY CAMP FOR TEACHERS!  

There was an all group time, a small group time, and (like every camp) lunch time.  We had our counselors, our own camp songs (of sorts), camp stories and jokes.  I made lots of new friends.  But the biggest thing is that I cannot get WBT out of my head. I want to do everything to recreate that "camp" feeling for my students! I want them to feel the energy and fun about my subjects that I did about WBT.  I want them to leave my 55 minute class thinking, "Mrs. Benge's class is over already?" I want them to walk out of my class period wanting more...yes, that's it.  I want to leave them wanting more!

It is Thursday morning.  Two short weeks ago, I interviewed for my position.  That Friday I was "officially" offered the job by the district, Saturday I packed for my trip, and Sunday I drove to Pineville, Louisiana.  Monday morning I felt a bit like a fish out of water -- but that soon changed! By Wednesday I was just like any camper...ready to go home, but sad to leave my experience behind.  Just one week ago I returned home. There hasn't been a day since that I haven't thought of a zwoop, eert, big gesture, or scaffolding.  My brain is ON FIRE! I wake up in the middle of the night and my thoughts are in teach-okay phrases! I actually used the word "guff" with my daughter yesterday (and, yes, I then had to explain what it meant). I have applied what I learned as best I can to my parenting...secretly wishing I could go full-tilt on my unsuspecting three. 
There hasn't been a week day since my return that I haven't been in my classroom. Honest engine. Yesterday I was there with my daughter for just shy of 6 hours.  She arranged my 400+ books for the classroom library.
I arranged desks. I made a seating arrangement template. 
And then...then, I wrote out my Five Rules.  
Yes, they are already posted at the front of my room!  Sweet Mama, I'm sick -- I've got WBT Fever!

Power to the Teachers!
Cathy Benge

2 comments:

Nancy Stoltenberg Director of WBT Certification said...

Love! Love! Love! This is a great example of another educator that just got slam dunked by WBT!! Sooooo happy you got to attend the conference! We always tell attendees walking in with laptops and Starbucks that they need to drink fast and get the computer to a safe spot! Now you know why!! Congrats on your new job! Become a fan of Sarah Meador, another 6th grade teacher in WBT! She will be a great resource to you as you begin your new year. I look forward to following your blog, Cathy! (Where's your Follow Button...I want to hit it! Ten Finger Woooo to you!!
Nancy
Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words, Nancy. I am thrilled to say that Sara and I met in Pineville, and she is my WBT Intern Mentor! As to the follow button, I've tried to get the subscription buttons added, but have yet to succeed. (Yet another thing for me to keep working on!)

Now, lets talk about SLAM DUNKED by WBT…I've met the 7ELA teacher, and she is going to join me in attending the Arkansas/midwest conference next week! Oh, sweet mama, this is exciting -- I'm getting to double up on my WBT this summer! And the WBT train in Enid, OK is getting longer!