Sunday, February 1, 2015

Discriminate: to tell the differences in

In my last blog post, I mentioned a gamified human rights unit I had finished.  The 3 month labor of love has been completed, the game board finalized (and even translated into Spanish!) and instructions and scorecard written out. The students have completed a week of their self-directed learning. I have even prepared a spreadsheet with class pages so I'm ready to record their points!

As I mentioned in my last post, to introduce the unit, I did a set-up.  As they did their bell work the week before we started the unit, I meandered through the room, fist full of dum-dums, and handed them out to select students...those wearing red.

WELL, THEN CAME THE REVELATION DAY!!!

I started class just like BEFORE:  I took role, then did the dum-dum walk.  After I passed out suckers, I asked a usually opinionated student -- who did NOT wear red -- how they felt about the suckers I've been handing out.  No one was pleased, but not one student was rude or disrespectful. I explained the definition of discrimination, and then we discussed the difference between discriminating and discriminating against.



discriminate: to tell the differences in 


discriminate against: to show favor for or agai




discriminate against: to show favor for or against because of difference






I fessed up and admitted that I had been showing favor to the students wearing red. Then, to drive home the difference between "discriminating" and "discriminating against," we did some move-around-activities.  I had the students separate by eye color (brown and not brown), shoe style (sneakers and not sneakers), pant style (jeans and not jeans...thankfully no skirts or dresses). Each time I divided the class, I asked if it was just or right for me to notice the differences.  Yes, it was just.  I was stating a fact. Then, I would concoct a scenario...the brown eyes have to go to detention, but the not-brown-eyes get to go with me to Cherry Berry! They were quick to point out THAT instance was unjust. ;) Smart cookies! We discussed discriminating tastes, genetics/DNA, and just/unjust situations. There was banter over whether or not one could permanently change hair or eye color. And then? 
Then I introduced my classes to THE BOOKS!
I went through and briefly described the way I had "discriminated" the books...lol...sorted them...see what I did there? I had a huge, nearly overflowing bin of books for civil rights, and more bins for women's rights, those with different cultures (kids helped me with that bin topic--migrant workers and Japanese internment), Jews during the Holocaust, Native American rights, rights of those in other countries (Ghandi and Mandela), rights for those with physical/learning differences, and America's rights (Revolutionary and Civil War times). Not all are as enticing as others, but it was so incredible to see the kids' eyes light up as they saw ALL OF THE BOOKS! I had several students ask if they could begin reading the books...IMMEDIATELY!


Is it wrong to take personal joy in seeing 
middle school students drool over books?

 Nah!







No comments: